Steve Web. Round # 1  11/01/21
Sometime in the early 1980's I came across info about a Model Aviation plan for an r/c conversion of a freeflite plane called Ole' Reliable. A bought the plans and a reprint of the article published in 1978. This was my first scratch built.

The build was fun and the finished plane was covered with transparent yellow and blue Monocote. Looked great against a clear blue sky. It was a fun flying 3-channel with an OS .25 motor. Lots of dihedral. 

BUT...never anything less than a real turd on the ground.

Over the years and a ton of aborted takeoffs. I took most of the dihedral out of the wing, added ailerons moved the landing gear forward. Switched to a .40 motor and added a tail wheel.  Now I was ready once again to take to the air. NOPE...Still a turd on the ground.

Moving years forward. I blew the dust off, moved the LG farther forward, and switched to electric.

I did learn a valuable lesson. You don't need a prop when you are checking out your electric setup.  47 stitches and a destroyed nose on notso Ole' Reliable and I pretty much learned about full throttle.

One last time. A winter project to bring this plane back from the dead.

Rebuild the nose.
Relocate the battery and servo tray.
Convert to trike landing gear.
All new radio gear.
All new color scheme.
Add a pilot.

A few pics of Ole' Reliable as she looks today. 

To learn more about Ole' Reliable go to:   

https://www.modelaviation.com/sites/default/files/JULY1978.pdf
Ole Reliable Update 1/21/22
This is my first update on the Ole Reliable project. 
For a while it was a real sit and stare event.  Repairing the damaged nose section was straight forward. Once the fire wall was laid out and installed, the real puzzle unfolded.  In the old fuel tank and three-servos in the fuselage installation, it all seemed pretty roomy, but as I trial fit different configurations for the 3S battery, ESC, servos and receiver, it was back to sit and stare.  Sweet fancy Moses, look at all those wires.  Oh yeah, better leave a little room for a 4S battery just in case…
The inside width of the fuselage is only tad wider than 2-1/2” so there is not a lot of room.  My decision to convert to trike landing gear made tail weight an issue.  Adding the gear to the nose helped a bit but the main gear now well behind the CG was waking up the dreaded tail-heavy demon.
After several test installations a third servo was added for the nose wheel. Great…more weight behind the CG, but this allowed me to locate the servo closer to the bottom of the fuselage. The pushrod to the nose gear is now a very straight line, with no binding issues.
In the close-up picture, the three servos sit behind the pilot. Rudder and elevator on top and the steering servo lower and toward the tail.  The red battery is below the pilot and forward of the CG, which is right behind the pilot. The aileron servo is mounted in the wing and falls behind the CG as well.
This pic is an overall shot of the construction zone. Maybe I should add a couple of orange cones before the next update.

Next steps.

·         Design and fabricate the hatch   cover and windscreen.
·         Design and fabricate the motor cowling.
·         Install the wing strut attachment points.
·         Take advantage of Jim Dalton’s offer to help with electric flight questions.
 
Steve W.